Position Title - Communications Coordinator
Closing Date - March 25, 2020
L’nuey supports the Assembly of Epekwitk Councils (the full Abegweit and Lennox Island Councils) in the negotiation, consultation and governance development work of the leadership. L’nuey works with the leadership and engages the Mi’kmaq of PEI on the implementation and protection of the collective Aboriginal and Treaty Rights of the Epekwitknewaq.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications Coordinator is primarily responsible for coordinating strategic communications and the L’nuey Communications Unit. The Communications Coordinator will ensure high-quality digital and traditional communication, media relations, proactive communications and stakeholder relation strategies. In particular, this role will perform a variety of roles from key message development and issues management to more complex strategy and external communications planning on behalf L’nuey.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Strategic communications advice and counsel: Provide strategic communications counsel; develop and execute strategic communications plans for projects and initiatives.
- Manage complex strategies: Provide guidance by engaging stakeholders and team members to analyze the initiatives/projects and develop communications strategies which create positive outcomes for L’nuey.
- Media relations: Work with team to execute media relations strategies and act as a spokesperson where appropriate.
- Social media strategy: Manage L’nuey’s social media strategy and execute with the team.
- Reactive communications: Monitor and analyze emerging issues and trends, manage communications response to crises and public issues.
- Proactive communications: Develop proactive communications strategies using techniques that support the Assembly’s reputation.
- Measurement: Work with the team to assess communications effectiveness by ensuring strategies are measured and targets are tracked.
Qualifications (Education and Experience) and Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior communications role.
- Demonstrated competencies in media relations, issues management, digital communications and strategic communications.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Excellent ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong writing skills for newsletters, press releases, progress reports and briefing notes.
- Experience creating targeted content.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, decision making, analysis and reporting.
- Ability to think strategically and understand L’nuey’s mission.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivated.
- An understanding of L’nuey’s socio-political environment and current affairs.
Salary will be commensurate with knowledge and experience. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please forward resume and cover letter with references to email@example.com